Friday, January 7, 2022

Part 1: Attack and Defence

Scenario 1 Positional Defence (1)
A straightforward scenario with the defensive line anchored on a forest, some villages and three redoubts. The latter make this seem like a Napoleonic game, and the forces translate nicely into a Corps sized attack in Marechal d'Empire, so a first run out for 6mm it is. If only I had had the foresight to get some redoubts from Total Battle Miniatures...

Scenario 2 Positional Defence (2)
This time the defender holds a re-entrant and there is a lot more terrain. Grant even recommends a modern setting, with alternative forces to match (basically battalion + support assaulting a company + support). I think this works best for inter-war, but given the motley nature of my forces, I will use the 'horse and musket' lists as the guide to my selection.

Scenario 3 Holding Action (1)
Again, a relatively simple layout, with the defender holding a road passing between two hills for as long as possible. Pretty period agnostic, but something just says 'Ancients' to me, so a first outing for the Sassanians. If their Byzantine opponents have made it back from Sri Lanka in time for this game, I'm already hopelessly behind schedule.

Scenario 4 Holding Action (2)
A little tricky this one, as it involves the defender being unaware of a ford that exposes his flank. Luckily, the forces come in just small enough for my 15mm Napoleonics, with a bit less artillery, and I suspect 'Sharp Practice' will cope well with the need to solo that hidden ford. That said, as a first game with this rule set, it looks a little on the large side. Better get some practice in sharpish! (Brrdm tssch!Thank you, thank you! I'm here all week. Try the veal.)

Scenario 5 Rear Guard (1)

A defeated army is pursued by an enemy largely made up of irregular light troops. Originally this was going to be the Late Romans harried across the desert by pursuing Sassanians, in a scene straight out of a Harry Sidebottom novel. Instead, it will be a first outing for the WWII armies, with British recce pursuing a German kampfgruppe across north west Europe. So not so much irregular, but plenty of light.

Five scenarios in and five different periods or scales. That's either a pleasing variety or rod for my own back.

Scenario 6 Rear Guard (2)

This is a scaled down version of the Battle of Corunna, except that with the Polemos bases each representing a brigade, rather than the battalion set out in Grant's description of forces, this is going to be damn near a full-scale refight. Gotta love those 6mm!

Scenario 7 Rear Slope

As the name suggests, this is all about the use of the reverse slope to conceal all or part of the defensive force. A classic tactic of the Napoleonic era, so 6mm Napoleonics it is (again).

Scenario 8 Dead Ground

Again, a tricky scenario for the soloist, as the attacker is unaware of the dead ground concealing a portion of the defender's forces. That sort of trick has a very Belisarian ring to it, so I'm thinking Ancients, but I really do need the Byzantines painted for this. (I think that was the sound of a deadline whooshing past.) I'll figure out the deception thing somehow.

Scenario 9 Attack on a Camp

I remember this as a Tabletop Teaser from an old issue of Military Modelling, or maybe even Battle. With an attack being launched when the defenders are asleep in their tents, this has 'Sharp Practice' written all over it. Suffice to say, I'm going to need a lot of 15mm tents.

Scenario 10 Breakout

Again, a scenario that depends on some deception, as the defender thinks he is defending a river line, but then attackers appear from both flanks and the rear. Once again, just the right size for my 'Sharp Practice' lads.

Scenario 11 Defence in Depth

The eponymous concept is a modern one, first used in WW1, so that limits the choice of period. In fact, inter war seems just right, with machine gun nests trying to slow down those dodgy tanks. UPDATE I'm having so much fun assembling my WWII forces that I've decided to use them for this scenario too. I have also decided to try Triumph of the Will rules for interwar, which being battalion level or higher aren't as suitable for this scenario.

Scenario 12 Flank Attack

Based on Frederick the Great's victory at Leuthen, so again classic horse and musket territory. Plus 6mm Napoleonics allows me to scale it back up to something like a full battle.

Scenario 13 Last Stand
This one's a beauty, and again I remember it as a Tabletop Teaser in Military Modelling. All sorts of possibilities as the defenders fight to the last man. Maybe some bugs attacking my sci fi humans? Or hordes of horse archers swirling around Byzantines in a ruined temple? In the end though, it is thoughts of some of the doomed heroics of the Spanish Civil War that prompts me to go for inter war.

One chapter of the book complete, but one quarter of the scenarios done and dusted. If I ever get this far I will have exceeded my own wildest expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment