Thursday, January 6, 2022

The Periods

Over the years of not wargaming, I have haphazardly accumulated all sorts of half-starts and speculative purchases as whims took me and finances allowed. Embarking on this project did force on me a degree of rationalization not seen since the transatlantic move, but I think I ended up with a net increase in periods and armies, so that's not really rationalization, is it? 


Information

Contemplating the periods for which I have acquired armies over the years, a pretty consistent feature is a lack of historical accuracy or, at least, precision. My first 'proper' armies, 15mm Napoleonics, were based on extensive research in the limited resources of my local library. Mostly what I learnt was that there was no 'right' answer, given the impact the vagaries of campaigning had on organisation, uniform and equipment.


Inspiration

These days I have come to accept that I’m just not that interested in the fine detail of military history. I enjoy the narrative sweep, the heroic anecdotes and the geeky thrill of technology in action, not the hardcore minutiae of regimental numbers, facing colours and service dates.


Implementation

When it comes down to it, I want my games to be closer to a movie or a novel than a historical simulation. I want to be C.S. Forester or David Drake, not Philip Sabin.


Organisation

Therefore, in the topics below, you will see a mixture of the broadly historical, semi-fictional and outright fantastical. Even when I use a rule set renowned for its accurate recreation of period tactics like 'Chain of Command', I apply it to troop types it completely wasn't designed for.


Organisation?

Another theme, I now realise, is the tendency for ranges of plastic figures to drive me to new periods. Maybe it is deep-seated memories of those early happy days with hordes of unpainted Airfix Napoleonics. More practically, it could be that the cheapness and ease of conversion match my somewhat primitive modelling and painting skills, which would be a waste of money if exercised on metal. At an even more mundane level, given my most recent ‘wargaming’ activity has been the accumulation of toys that then sit in boxes awaiting some miracle or other, plastics impose far less of a burden on both the wallet and the structural integrity of my house.


Disorganisation

So how ready am I? Good question. Some periods are all painted and ready to go (6mm Napoleonics), some are almost there and just require a few extra bits (Vietnam, 15mm Napoleonics). Other are about 50% done (Ancients, Inter War) and the rest are not even started (Dark Ages, WWII, Sci Fi). Part of the point of this exercise is to motivate me to get stuff finished, so plenty of material to work with there.


Marie Kondo has left the building.

Enough philosophising (you probably said about 10 minutes ago). On with the periods:

Ancients





6 comments:

  1. There's a book there that many LaW members know and cherish, even if it is just because we're in it. I can only aspire to your levels of neatness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate your attitude to the minutiae of military history and uniforms. I feel validated. My uniforms get as far as British Napoleonic Infantry with green facings, and all my French infantry battalions have the centre companies with the same pompom colour. Then I can tell which unit is which.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's nice to know that us heretics are not alone in our apostasy!

      Delete
  3. Nice looking and interesting blog, what a well neat and tidy work room.
    Good luck with this blog.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Not faked for the photographs at all, no sirree...

      Delete